I weigh 169lbs. I've rechecked my math. I've tried different scales in different pharmacies and they all seem to say 77kg. Even while my parents were here, and the wallets were wide open, and the daily two- or three-inch T-bones were consumed, the weight stayed the same. We'd try grilling the steaks ourselves ($10/kg) or try purchasing them from the cafes ($20/kg), and though bloody, juicy and far more flavorful than that ashy trash we have in The States, my weight remained unchanged.
So far as I can see, there are three possible explanations. One: I have a parasite, tapeworm, or some other wee-beastie that's sapping my goods. Two: Mate is such an extreme diuretic that my body is incapable of absorbing my goods. Three: My metabolism has been jumpstarted and... well... you're probably sick of hearing about "my goods". Whichever it is, I'm running lean and haven't felt so healthy in years.
We began in Santiago, Chile and lazed around some parks in the heat for a few days. We then went to coastal town of Valparaiso, Chile. We took in the bizzare and confusing town at the only pace possible when getting lost in a puzzle-like road plan. The fear of being crushed by tottering buildings kept our eyes upward, making navigation even more difficult. We then crossed the Andes to Mendoza, Argentina where we'd spend the next week. This is major wine country and I was a little concerned about how the local specialty would jive with my tee-totaling parents. However, after visiting some wineries my parents discovered that they can drink wine if it contains no added sulfites. No instant headaches. No hive-like symptoms at the mere smell of the stuff. They were actually drinking it and enjoying it. So - what the heck - we started to force-feed the once-vegetarians steak and chorizo, the result being bloated and dozy games of cribbage.
This morning my parents began their return home by taking the bus back to Santiago. Their bus left at 10:00 AM (CLST), their flight leaves at 11:50 PM (CLST) and they arrive in Portland at 9:00PM (PST). In real time, that's a 38 hour travel day. Well done Mom and Dad, well done.
We're now on a 15hr bus ride to Salta, Argentina. After a short stay we plan on heading into Bolivia and saying goodbye to Argentina. But that will come later. Right now it's goodbye, Chile. And goodbye, Mom and Dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment